Newtown Old Town Hall
Isle of Wight
Tel: 01983 531785
Home >> Newtown >> Attractions
CategoryIsle of Wight Attractions
Additional FeaturesFerguson's Gang Exhibition
Regular Art Exhibitions
Special Offers* IW WOODTURNERS' EXHIBITION 4th - 26th May: examples of the completed work of the Woodturners' will be on display in the Old Town Hall during normal opening hours.
* DRAW IN THE HALL Wednesday 28th May anytime between 2pm - 4.30pm: afternoon of drawing activities for children based on the Ferguson Gang. Normal admission prices plus £1.50 for each child participating.
DescriptionThe small, now tranquil, village of Newtown once sent two members to Parliament and Newtown Old Town Hall was the setting for often turbulent elections. This historic building contains a new exhibition for 2008 depicting the exploits of 'Ferguson's Gang' a mysterious group of anonymous benefactors - as well as local history.
* 17th-century town hall with no town but a fascinating history.
* A town hall with no town.
* Located in a now tranquil village on the edge of a marshland nature reserve.
* Fascinating local history to uncover.
In 2008 we will be celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Old Town Hall being given to the National Trust by the Ferguson Gang with a new display and a programme of events.
30 April, 16 July & 24 Sept Money, Masks & Mysteries
Join the Custodian for a talk on the mysterious Ferguson Gang and other aspects of the Town Hall's history. Places limited and must be booked in advance on 01983 741020. Tickets £5 to include coffee and cake.
2008 Opening Times
Mar 16 Jun 30: Open Mon, Wed & Sun, 2pm - 5pm.
Jul 1 30 Aug 30: Open every day (except Fri & Sat) 2pm 5pm.
Sep 1 Oct 22: Open Mon, Wed & Sun, 2pm - 5pm.
Last admission 15mins before closing. Open Good Fri and Easter Sat. Closes dusk if earlier than 5pm.
Adult: £2, Child 1, Family £5.
Pre-booked groups of 15+ £1.70 each.
National Trust members FREE.
FOR GROUP BOOKINGS FOR 2008 please phone 01983 741020 or email: [email protected]